Alterfin wants to enhance human dignity in the developing countries by promoting individual and collective economic activities that contribute to sustainable development. Its goal is to improve the livelihoods and living conditions of socially and economically disadvantaged people and communities, predominantly in rural areas in low- and middle-income countries around the world. In order to achieve this goal, Alterfin provides financial and non-financial services to its partners by:
- raising funds, mainly from individual investors and socially responsible institutions
- structuring and promoting ethical and sustainable investments;
- networking with like-minded organisations.
Alterfin is a cooperative society which was set up in 1994 and stems from a collaboration between NGOs and ethical banks. Alterfin gathers more than 6,000 private citizens, NGOs and a number of companies. At the end of 2019, Alterfin had an outstanding portfolio of Euro 100 million, invested through 180 organizations in 37 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. 53% of the outstanding portfolio is invested through Microfinance Institutions while the remaining in smallholder sustainable agriculture organizations active in 13 different value chains.
Context & position summary
Alterfin is developing an Environmental and Social Performance Management System (ESPMS) to measure and report their sustainable impact. It aims to map Alterfin’s portfolio based on the social, environmental and financial returns of each investment and measure Alterfin’s additionality vis à vis each investment. Ultimately, Alterfin aims to build a monitoring system to understand the impact on its partners and its partners’ impact on their respective clients (farmers, and MFIs’ clients).
As the Environmental & Social Performance Manager you will be in the driving seat of the development and implementation of the environmental and social impact system within Alterfins’ operations. You will coordinate the roll-out of the ESPMS, the development of appropriate monitoring tools & methods and the respective reporting systems. You will follow-up and continuously improve the internal processes and systems and assist in building the necessary organisational conditions and capacities.
As a professional you will start this new position with a relevant background and skillset and are committed to become the internal expert in sustainable impact metrics and monitoring. During the first year, you will be supported by an external senior consultant.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Coordinate and oversee the implementation of the environmental and social impact monitoring including data/information collection, analysis and quality control;
- Develop practical tools and instruments for data collection, reporting and analysis;
- Adapt and fine-tune the conceptual design of the ESPM system based on new insights;
- Work with the team and partners to continuously improve the monitoring and evaluation processes and systems;
- Network and liaise with like-minded organisations as well as with colleagues / experts in the field of monitoring & evaluation and environmental & social impact measurement to share experiences and good practices;
- Provide guidance and build capacity of project staff in the effective use of the ESPMS and associated tools, instruments and methods;
- Document the environmental and social impact monitoring process and develop hands-on resource materials for staff and partners;
- Coordinate and/or facilitate internal reflection and analysis meetings/workshops;
- Prepare the aggregation and synthesis of data including the development of relevant database systems, data visualization, dashboard tools, etc.;
- Design and implement on the field research to develop case studies looking at the impact of Alterfin and its partners;
- Coordinate the compilation of quarterly, bi-annual or annual progress and summary reports;
- Assist in the development and revision of annual work plans and strategies for the organisation;
- Foster the sharing of lessons learned and good practices within the organization.
- Master degree in economics, business, international development, development economics, agriculture, social science or a related field;
- 5-year experience in international development projects, smallholder farmers/cooperatives, social investment companies, monitoring and evaluation, environmental/social impact assessment, applied research in the development field,…;
- Minimum of 2-year experience in managing and coordinating monitoring and evaluation systems at organisational level in multi-country programmes;
- 2-year international experience in Africa, Latin-America or Asia;
- Solid experience conducting qualitative and quantitative data analysis, providing oversight of data collection activities, or designing monitoring evaluation tools;
- Strong conceptual, analytical and critical thinking;
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural team;
- Showing entrepreneurship, creativity and initiative;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required;
- Ability to travel 2 times per year.
- Technical competence in research, learning and monitoring and evaluation methods with a focus on social and environmental impact (theory and practice);
- Ability to design and deliver materials and resources which are practical and accessible to practitioners and managers;
- Experience in operational management and providing support/services to colleagues and partners;
- Demonstrable experience of developing and delivering successful training and staff development initiatives and in coaching teams;
- Ability to lead and motivate others;
- Fluency in written and spoken French or Spanish.
Contract type: Full-time position / 3-year contract, renewable
Foreseen starting date: January 2021
Reports to: Head of Investments
Support is provided by an external senior consultant
Location: Alterfin office in Brussels (Belgium), Lima (Peru) or Nairobi (Kenya). Posting in another European country or in one of Alterfin’s countries of operations can be considered.
How to apply?
Please send your application in English to jobs [at] alterfin [dot] be with subject ‘Application ESP Manager 2020’, before December 11, 2020. The application should include a motivation letter and your CV (both in pdf). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Read all articles