Alterfin is a cooperative company that aims to promote sustainable development and improve living conditions of socially and economically deprived people and communities worldwide by financing microfinance and sustainable agriculture in low and low middle income countries.
The Alterfin team consists of 23 employees and 7 external consultants working in different countries. You will report to the Legal & Compliance Manager; together, you will form Alterfin's Legal and Compliance Team.
About the position
As Alterfin's Legal and Compliance Officer, you are the first point of contact for local lawyers handling loan recovery processes for Alterfin in our countries of operations. You provide necessary support to the General Manager in recovery management. You also take care of the legal loan documentation within the organization. Together with the Legal & Compliance Manager, you ensure compliance with regulatory and legal constraints on all levels (internal and external).
- You build and extend our network of efficient and trustworthy law firms in our countries of operations
- You are the contact person for the local lawyers we are working with and centralize all the information
- You closely follow-up the recovery process of outstanding loans
- You provide legal advice to the Legal & Compliance Manager and to the General Manager, so they can take informed decisions on various legal topics
- You support the Legal and Compliance Manager and the Credit Administrator in the preparation of legal loan documentation and in the credit monitoring
- You assist the Legal and Compliance Manager with other legal documentation, when needed.
- You have a higher education degree in Law (with preferably a specialisation in Contract, Banking, Securities or Corporate Law)
- Preferably, you had a first working experience in a similar position (law firm, bank or microfinance sector)
- You have a very good knowledge of English and Spanish. Knowledge of French and/or Dutch is a plus
- Knowledge of the legal system in one or more foreign countries (in Africa, Asia or Latin-America) is a plus
- You have a good sense of commerciality
- You have strong negotiation and networking skills
- You feel affinity for Alterfin’s social mission.
What can you expect?
- A full-time, 12-month contract, starting asap, in an international setting with friendly and committed colleagues
- An attractive reward package with many additional perks (meal vouchers, group insurance, hospitalisation insurance, expenses paid etc.)
- Extra days of leave in addition to the legal minimum
- The opportunity to work for a growing organisation with real social impact
- A sustainable and inspiring workplace at the Mundo-Madou offices, shared with other like-minded organisations in the heart of Brussels (easily accessible by public transport)
How to apply?
Send your application with a covering letter and CV to jobs [at] alterfin [dot] be with 'Application Legal & Compliance Officer 2020’ in the subject line, before June 22, 2020. The selection procedure consists of a video interview during office hours. Candidates who pass the first round will be invited for a second interview with the General Manager.
We recruit on the basis of skills and talents, irrespective of your formal qualifications, gender, sexual orientation, religion, origin or disability.
Read all articles