Alterfin is a social investor that, since 1994, raises capital in Belgium to invest it in developing countries via Microfinance institutions and organisations involved in Smallholder Sustainable Agriculture.
Alterfin’s goal is to improve the livelihoods and living conditions of socially and economically disadvantaged people and communities, predominantly in rural areas in low- and middle-income countries around the world.
In order to achieve this goal, Alterfin provides financial and non-financial services to its partners by:
- raising funds, mainly from individual investors and socially responsible institutions,
- structuring and promoting ethical and sustainable investments,
- networking with like-minded organisations.
In this way, Alterfin contributes to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
The Alterfin team consists of 22 permanent employees and 14 external consultants who work from different countries.
About the position
You are looking for an opportunity that will allow you to apply your technical knowledge on data analysis? You are interested in the impact investment sector? Join Alterfin as a Data Analyst!
You will be part of the Operations department as a member of the Portfolio Analysis Unit, and report to the Head of Portfolio Management. You will perform data analysis and generate reports to inform decision-making and allow a proactive management of Alterfin’s operations and their strategic development. Thanks to the central role of this position within the organisation, you will have the chance to gain a direct experience of the operations of a cooperative active in impact investment.
- You are the primary responsible for generating a relevant and comprehensive database concerning the operations of Alterfin
- You analyse on an ongoing basis the data generated to understand the performance of Alterfin and share findings with all internal relevant stakeholders
- You use innovative ways to build business intelligence and share knowledge, by upgrading existing tools and developing new ones
- You contribute proactively to the setting-up of a new MIS in coordination with the IT, MIS, and Finance departments
- You update the investment planning and monitor and forecast the portfolio evolution in concertation with the Head of Portfolio Management and the team of Investment Managers
- You prepare Alterfin operational reports on a regular basis for both internal and external stakeholders, in coordination with the Finance and Accounting department
- You have a degree in higher education in data science, data analytics, statistics, computer science, finance, economics, business management or other relevant field(s)
- You have strong Excel skills as well as a mastering of business intelligence tools (VBA is a plus but not imperative)
- You have an ability to apply statistical and modelling methods to analyze business data and to visualize data insights
- You have an understanding of finance, microfinance, investment principles, etc.
- You have very good English speaking and writing skills (required)
- Good knowledge of French, Dutch and/or Spanish is an asset
- You have strong organizational, analytical, and synthesis skills
- You enjoy working in a team
- You can work autonomously
- You feel an affinity for Alterfin’s social mission
What can you expect?
- A full-time, open-ended contract, starting as soon as possible, in an international setting with friendly and committed colleagues
- An attractive reward package with many additional perks (meal vouchers, group insurance, hospitalisation insurance, expenses paid etc.)
- Extra days of leave in addition to the legal minimum
- The opportunity to work for a growing organisation with real social impact
- A sustainable and inspiring workplace at the Mundo-Madou offices, shared with other like-minded organisations in the heart of Brussels (easily accessible by public transport)
How to apply?
Send your application with a cover letter and CV to jobs [at] alterfin [dot] be with 'Application Portfolio Analyst 2022’ in the subject line. Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted for an oral interview during office hours.
We recruit based on skills and talents, irrespective of your formal qualifications, gender, sexual orientation, religion, origin or disability.