Created in 1994, Alterfin is a cooperative company aiming at the promotion of sustainable development and the improvement of living conditions of socially and economically deprived people and communities worldwide by financing microfinance institutions and sustainable agriculture organisations in low and low middle-income countries.
The Alterfin team consists of 24 employees and 12 external consultants working in different countries in Europe, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
About the position
As Chief Financial Officer you will play a key role in the organization and are responsible for the organization of following departments: Finance, Accounting, Credit Administration, and IT.
You will report directly to the CEO and take active part in the Management Team.
- You are responsible for the Finance, Accounting, Credit Administration, and IT departments.
- As a Financial expert, you manage the relationships with banks & institutional funders. You mainly deal with ALM (Asset and Liabilities Management) by continuously assessing the risk position of the cooperative with respect to interest rate, currency and liquidity.
- You assist in attaining established department financials goals and connect the funding needs with the investment portfolio pipeline. You challenge the assumptions, apply methodologies, and provide sound explanations of the results.
- You are also the final responsible for preparing, presenting and interpreting the financial reports to senior management, ensuring the safeguard of Alterfin assets.
- You assist the audit process ensuring regulatory compliance with policies and procedures.
- You supervise the cash management workflow together with the accountant and the cash manager, anticipating the potential impacts on the balance sheet.
- Together with the IT Team, you help coordinating priorities and closely follow the implementation of the new Loan Management/Management Information Systems.
- As a people manager, you coordinate the daily management and the long-term development of your team as well as the continuous improvement of the departments’ processes. You act as a point of contact between your team members and the other departments.
- As part of the Management Team, you actively contribute to the continuous development and the team spirit of Alterfin.
- You have a higher education degree in management, economics or finance.
- You have 15 years of proven professional experience with at least 5 years leadership experience at senior management level (department head) ideally in the banking or the microfinance sector.
- Knowledge of cooperation and development in developing countries is a plus.
- You have experience in project and people management.
- You are independent, rigorous, dedicated and have strong communication and negotiation skills.
- You are eager to learn and take initiatives.
- You have a very good knowledge of English and French. Spanish is a plus.
- You feel strong affinity for Alterfin’s social mission and want to invest your personal development on the long run in the same field.
What can you expect?
- A full-time permanent contract starting as soon as possible.
- An international setting with friendly, committed colleagues.
- Flexible working hours with the opportunity to work from home.
- An attractive reward package with many additional perks (meal vouchers, group insurance, hospitalisation insurance, expenses paid etc.).
- Extra days of leave in addition to the legal minimum.
- The opportunity to work for a growing organisation with real social and environmental impact.
- A sustainable and inspiring workplace at the Mundo-Madou offices in the heart of Brussels (easily accessible by public transport). Remote candidates are also being considered.
How to apply?
Send your application with a cover letter and CV to jobs [at] alterfin [dot] be with job title in the subject line. Only selected candidates will proceed to interviews.
We recruit on the basis of skills and talents, irrespective of your formal qualifications, gender, sexual orientation, religion, origin or disability.